Parking lot paint marking is an essential aspect of safety and efficient parking lot usage. The markings provide a lot of information to users. This includes which section of the parking lot to use, where to turn, and which area is passing permitted. Using this practice has made traffic flow quite smooth in the parking area. Read on below to better understand why you should prioritize the application of markings in the parking lot.
Benefits of Using Parking Lot Paint Markings
The safety of pedestrians and motorists is secured.
Global data implies that the most risky roads and areas are those that have worn out and poorly visible road markings. Motorists aren’t able to immediately detect the potentially dangerous conditions that lay ahead.
It helps keep the motorists and pedestrians to stay in there right places.
Parking lots may be divided into two lanes. Drivers are required to stay either on the left or right lane. You can’t just change your mind and drive at whichever side you wish to even if you’re in a rush. Not only will it ram your car, but you’ll most likely cause accidents to other motorists as well.
It increases visual appeal.
Seeing a freshly lined parking lot is a sight for sore eyes. Visual appeal is extremely important for a parking lot. It greatly affects the 1st impression that you give and how people see your business.
It will prevent chaos and misunderstanding in the parking lot.
Many things annoy people immediately nowadays. They can get involved in big fights over shallow reasons. There are so many real-life situations where people shout at each other just because one “stole” the other person’s parking space. This usually happens in females.
Parking lot markings keep you on the safe side of the law.
Are you aware that there are existing laws and regulations that parking lots need to follow? This includes the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and specific regulations implemented by the state.
It reduces confusion of the driver.
If the markings are utilized in conjunction with a well-defined parking space, navigation will become less confusing. The number of distractions will decrease and will help promote safe driving.
Commonly Used Paint Markings
- Markings compliant to the ADA. This includes indicators of where reserved and handicapped-accessible parking spaces are located.
- Pavement or curb markings to signify fire lanes
- Crosswalks for pedestrians
- Arrows that set the direction of traffic – whether the lane must go right or left, or is it just one way
- Loading and unloading zones
- No-parking areas
- Special instructions such as announcement of cross traffic
Special Considerations in Using Parking Lot Paint
- Application of parking lot markings on fresh asphalt or sealer needs a water-based coating.
- Application of parking lot markings on concrete needs a chlorinated rubber paint to ensure adherence. Set-fast acrylic waterborne is the most recommended and regularly used paint. However, extra care is needed because it needs to be painted at more than 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use an airless striping machine in applying the markings. The thickness should be at least 13 mil wet film. This is to make sure that the markings produced are of high quality.
- Apply two coats of paint. This is because the 1st coating of paint will just soak into the pavement, resulting to a thinner appearance. Using too much paint may cause damage to the pavement when the paint film starts to shrink.
- The expected drying time of the paint is 30 minutes. There should be no traffic in the area for at least 1 hour.
- Perform re-striping of the parking lot every 2 years. This can be done more frequently if the visibility of the markings has decreased to around 75% from its original look.
- Check the parking lot first before starting the application of markings. It should be compliant with the provisions of the ADA. For instance, the parking lot should have a minimum number of handicapped-accessible stalls depending on its size. Reconfigure the parking lot if it doesn’t meet the guidelines.
Apply Parking Lot Paint Markings Hassle-Free with Prestige Property Services
Striping and re-striping parking lot paint is also part of parking lot maintenance. It is vital in preserving the personal appearance of a commercial property. As seen in the guide we made above, application of markings is not a simple task. Hiring a professional is a must.
Prestige Property Services is happy to offer you striping and re-striping of the markings in your property. We can also clean the area and make sure that everything is good as new. If you want to hire our services, call us today for a free consultation. Let’s discuss how we can help you.