They say that you only get one chance to make a first impression. So, you better make sure that you make it a good one! Your asphalt parking lot will say a lot about how you value your business and customers. As such, it’s where you can get that good first impression.
Start by making sure that your asphalt parking lot is clean, tidy, and well maintained. A clean and well-maintained parking lot is a sign that you give importance to every aspect of your business, no matter how inconsequential some aspects may appear to other people.
How Should You Clean and Disinfect Your Asphalt Parking Lot?
Asphalt parking lots are nice to look at and will last for a long time, especially if they are properly taken care of. Here are some tips on how to clean and disinfect your lot.
1. Keep it spick and span.
The easiest, and arguably the best, way to maintain the cleanliness of a place is through the old fashioned way – picking up the trash or sweeping the floor regularly. Keeping the asphalt parking lot free of dry leaves, candy wrappers, rocks, and other debris will prevent your drainage from clogging. Besides, a clean lot will encourage people to keep it that way, preventing them from throwing trash anywhere. Having garbage cans in several strategic places will help this campaign.
2. Make sure it is always dry.
Water decreases the strength and durability of asphalt and will speed up its deterioration. Stop this from happening by making sure your parking lot has a proper drainage system. Clean up pools of water as soon as you spot them, and don’t forget to clear your basin regularly.
3. Buy a pressure washer.
Investing in a pressure washer might be a good idea, especially if your parking lot gets the occasional fuel or oil stains. Wash away oil stains as soon as you see them to keep your asphalt surface nice and strong.
4. Pull weeds and tree roots.
Sometimes, weeds and tree roots sprout out of parking lots. If this occurs in yours, deal with them immediately. They can not only weaken your asphalt, but they can also cause you an expensive lawsuit because people can easily trip over them.
5. Don’t let oil stains stay.
Oil and fuel stains can quickly cause damage to your asphalt parking lot. Make sure you prevent this by cleaning these types of stains fast. Here are a couple of tips on how to clean these stains.
- Trisodium phosphate (TSP), bleach, and baking soda: Apply the compound to the stain and then let it sit for half an hour. Then scrub the stain away using a stiff-bristled brush.
- Liquid soap and water: This simple combination works well on fresh oil spots and will prevent the oil from drying and staining the asphalt surface. Using this will not altogether remove the oil, but it will significantly make the removal process more manageable. Warm, soapy water also makes for a great disinfectant that can kill viruses and bacteria.
- Cat litter: Who would have thought that cat litter can effectively remove oil and grease stains on asphalt surfaces? It’s quite easy to use, too. After mopping up excess oil, simply sprinkle cat litter on the stain. Stomp on it as this will help to absorb the oil. Leave it overnight and then sweep or scoop it off the next day. Clean the surface with water to remove any residue.
- Commercial degreasers: You can buy industrial-strength degreases that work specifically on asphalt surfaces. They break down the oil into a biodegradable substance that is safe for your parking lot as well as the environment.
- Muriatic acid: Mix a mild solution of muriatic acid and water. Apply it on the oil stain, let sit for 1 minute, and then rinse using a pressure washer. Use this as a last resort when trying to remove oil stains. Use with caution; wear protective glasses and gloves when handling this substance.
Let a Professional Cleaner Do the Job
It’s okay for your staff to do the daily cleaning, but commercial establishments need to invest in thorough cleaning and disinfecting of their premises, including the parking lot. You wouldn’t want just anybody to do this for you. You want a reliable company with plenty of experience, and that’s what we’re bringing to the table.
Prestige Property Services has been providing high-quality commercial cleaning and janitorial services to all types of businesses for the past 15 years. Building owners, facility managers and property management companies come to us because they know that we can handle their most demanding janitorial and commercial cleaning jobs. Count on us to do the same for you.
We’ll be happy to provide you with a free estimate. Get in touch with us today!