The coronavirus has changed the way we travel, and for many Airbnb hosts like you, it has become a priority to protect your guests from COVID-19. As the pandemic rages on, we must all do our part in minimizing the impact of the virus. To this end, Airbnb is implementing a new cleaning protocol for its hosts. These mandatory Airbnb cleaning practices were developed with leading experts in hospitality and medical hygiene. Everyone in the Airbnb community will be required to follow this protocol starting October 12, 2020.
The Airbnb 5-step Enhanced Cleaning Protocol
All hosts of Airbnb accommodations must follow the five-step enhanced cleaning process between each stay.
According to the Airbnb cleaning handbook, these five steps are:
Enhanced Airbnb cleaning process for your shared home
Your professional cleaners should first consult your local health authority on how much time to wait before entering. While the CDC suggests waiting 24 hours, it may not always be possible. Airbnb recommends waiting at least three hours after the guest leaves before entering the room.
Step 1: Prepare for cleaning.
- Ventilate rooms. The CDC recommends opening all doors and windows before and while you clean. You may also turn on ventilating fans to improve air circulation.
- Unplug everything. Always unplug appliances before you start cleaning. Some appliances that are turned “off” may still be connected to electricity until the plug is pulled out. You may also cut power at the breaker box.
- Prepare your cleaning supplies. Always read the labels on your products to know how to use them properly. Only use disinfectants and sanitizers that are registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Wash your hands. Before touching anything, scrub your hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. You can also apply hand sanitizer with a minimum of 60% alcohol.
- Wear protective equipment. Wear face masks, gloves, aprons, boot covering, and other protective equipment at all times.
- Collect all dirty linens and take out the trash. Removing soiled linen and taking out the garbage as soon as you enter decreases the spread of germs.
Step 2: Clean everything.
- Dust, sweep, vacuum. Start from the top down when dusting walls and furniture. Vacuum all carpets and sweep the hard floors.
- Wipe hard surfaces. Soap and water can remove dirt, grease, and germs from hard surfaces. These include countertops, sinks, cabinets, and floors.
- Clean those soft surfaces. Refer to manufacturer instructions when cleaning carpets, beddings, and upholstery.
- Wash linens and dishes at the highest heat setting. Run the washing machine and dishwasher with hot water and antibacterial soap.
Step 3: Sanitize with disinfectants.
- Sanitize surfaces with disinfectant. Focus on disinfecting frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs, light switches, and TV remotes.
- Let the disinfectant stay wet. Refer to the product label when determining the wet contact time needed for disinfectants to effectively kill germs.
- Allow to air dry. If the surface dries quickly, the disinfectant might fail to kill all the pathogens listed on the label.
Step 4: Check your Airbnb cleaning checklist for every room.
- Double-check everything in your room checklist. Make sure that high-touch surfaces have been sanitized. See if there is anything your Airbnb cleaning crew might have missed.
- Note any missing or broken items. As you tick the boxes in your checklist, note any items that need to be refilled, restocked, or replaced.
Step 5: Reset the room.
- Throw out disposable cleaning supplies. Dispose of cleaning products properly to avoid contamination.
- Empty the vacuum cleaner. Be sure to clean any other tools that were used for Airbnb cleaning and store them properly.
- Safely remove cleaning gear once you’re done. Throw away or wash your protective gear according to manufacturer guidelines. Replace protective equipment after cleaning each room.
- Wash your hands. Before touching anything, scrub your hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Or apply hand sanitizer with a minimum of 60% alcohol.
- Provide cleaning supplies for your guests. Each room must have its own set of hand sanitizer, disposable gloves, paper towels, disinfectant wipes or spray, and antibacterial hand soap. You want your guests to be able to clean on their own while staying in your accommodation. Be sure to check expiration dates and restock supplies so you’re ready for the next turnover.
Prestige Property Can Help with Your Airbnb Cleaning Services Needs
We expect this five-step enhanced Airbnb cleaning process to add significant time to your cleaning routine. This could also force you to add a booking buffer between reservations. But your commitment to this new safety protocol is crucial in helping curb the spread of COVID-19. It could go a long way in protecting yourself, your guests, and the entire hospitality industry.
Prestige Property Services is committed to implementing the higher cleaning standard that Airbnb has set for its listings. If you need Airbnb cleaning services in Los Angeles, Orange County, or San Bernardino, call us at 714-224-0301.