Hurricane Irma has to be one of the greatest hurricanes that ever hit the country. A meteorologist from Colorado State University, Phil Klotzbach claims that Hurricane Irma stands out from the other storms that passed. It is extraordinary because of its duration and strength. It is the longest-lived hurricane from the Atlantic since Hurricane Ivan in 2004. Indeed, its damaging effects caused a lot of people to struggle with after hurricane repairs.
The hurricanes affected many business owners who did not know where to start. Here is a basic list of after hurricane repairs and maintenance that you need to accomplish.
Document the damage done by the hurricane
Before you start any after hurricane repairs, make sure that you document the damage of your office first. You should always have a camera in your supplies. Use this to take pictures that will support your insurance claims.
Eliminating flood water
- One of the top priorities in after hurricane repairs is removing the flood water that accumulated. This task can be quite daunting. Equipment such as wet/dry vacuums, utility pumps for water removal, and carpet cleaners are essential to extract water. These don’t require cleaning solutions. You may also use them for hard surfaces such as concrete. Use a sturdy, wet mop for spot cleaning.
- Always be cautious when using electrical equipment in a flooded area. Stay away if there is more than half an inch of standing water. Don’t enter a place if you are not sure if the power source is off.
Prevent and clean up mold
- Once you eliminate the standing water, dampness will remain in the area. Mold, mildew and strong smell will definitely develop. Use dehumidifiers once the water is gone to maintain an acceptable humidity level. This is a requirement prior to starting after hurricane repairs.
- Utilize cleaners for carpets or upholstery together with an odor-eliminating solution such as diluted vinegar. This will remove the damp and mildew smell from the floor.
- Remove molds from hard surfaces using a bleaching solution and brush. The CDC has a guide on the ratio of bleach to water used during a disaster clean-up.
- Use desiccants or odor absorbers to eliminate dampness and mustiness. Activated charcoal is one of the most commonly used odor absorbers in the market.
Fix any leaks that occur in your office
Detect any leaks in your plumbing, roof or wall as soon as possible. Chances are high that the water entering your home is already contaminated. Being able to resolve this issue immediately will prevent you and your employees from getting sick.
Repairing electrical utilities
Deal with damaged electrical utilities with right away. Its exposure to floodwater creates a hazardous environment. It is best to entrust electrical repairs to certified professionals. They are the only ones qualified to work on this type of after hurricane repairs.
Deal with water-logged laundry
Rinse off heavily soiled textile with a hose. Once they dry up, it will help prevent mildew from developing. Brush off any dirt and mud that remains after the initial rinse. Discard clothes that were exposed to groundwater runoff and sewage spills.
Disinfect items in the office
Always keep in mind that anything that had contact with flood water could be contaminated. Clean the office supplies using 1 cup of bleach mixed with 5 gallons of water. These should then be air-dried thoroughly to prevent growth of molds. Discard anything that you cannot clean well.
Seek the help of a professional
Clean up as quickly as you can after the storm passes. This task should be accomplished within 24 to 48 hours if possible. Keep in mind that no matter how much your effort is, there are tasks that only professionals should handle. You may need to avail a professional mold test for your office.
Some people needed to buy antimicrobial spraying equipment during the time of Hurricane Katrina. Be observant if your employees are already having inexplicable coughs. This is a sign that the extent of molds in the office is beyond normal. Hiring a professional will also make it possible to finish the clean-up and repair process faster.
Prestige Property Services can help you with After Hurricane Repairs
Performing repair and clean-up is quite complicated. However, a business owner may be pressured to get the repairs and clean-up done quickly. Get the business running as soon as possible with quick clean-up and repair.
Our team in Prestige Property Services is glad to offer you our services. We provide professional janitorial services. Contact us so that we can set-up an office cleaning program that perfectly matches your needs and budget.