Businesses – big or small – must commit to helping the environment. One way to do this is by choosing or switching to eco-friendly methods and products that are less toxic. It is worth looking into green cleaning tips small businesses can consider if you are on a sustainable path.
Sustainability in small businesses comes in different forms. Your business may be reducing your waste through recycling and salvaging. You may be selling sustainably made products or teaching other small businesses how to become sustainable.
No matter your business, consider going green even when it comes to cleaning your office. Going green in cleaning will be beneficial to your employees, the cleaning staff, and your potential clients, too.
5 Cleaning Tips Small Businesses Should Take Advantage
If you are a small business owner or manager, follow these smart cleaning tips.
1. Assess your working space.
One of the first cleaning tips small businesses can use is to go through your office and take note of the following:
- The type of surfaces you have in your office and the material they are made from
- The level of difficulty in cleaning these surfaces
- The age of the items in your working space
Generally speaking, green cleaners are as effective in cleaning as your usual over-the-counter chemical cleaners. However, they are more effective in cleaning surfaces that are not easily stained in the first place.
Some examples of easy-to-clean surfaces are tiles and stainless steel. However, absorbent surfaces like wood are more challenging to clean.
It is also recommended that you avoid carpets as they trap allergens in their fibers. You should consider hardwood or laminate floors for your office instead.
2. Invest in eco-friendly materials that are easier to clean.
You don’t have to spend a ton to switch to eco-friendly items for your office. You are also hitting two birds with one stone when you let go of old items. This is because you are helping the environment while also saving money in the long run.
You can start by switching your bulbs and using LED lights. Explore eco-friendly office supplies like staplers that are staple-less and refillable pens. You can also incentivize staff that can reduce their paper waste.
3. Use green cleaners instead of chemical cleaners.
Switching to green cleaners is one of the most important green cleaning tips small businesses should consider. As mentioned earlier, they are as effective in cleaning as the harmful chemical cleaners you used.
You can start by replacing your floor cleaners with a natural alternative. You can make your own by mixing water, vinegar, borax, and a few drops of baby oil.
Once you decide to replace your cleaning materials with green cleaners, remember to dispose of them responsibly.
4. Introduce natural air purifiers to your office space.
Did you know that plants can absorb toxins in the air? In fact, NASA made this discovery in 1989, which has since served as a basis for newer research.
According to the study, for every 100 square feet, it is recommended to have two to three plants that are in 8 to 10-inch pots. There are some that are easy to take care of, like spider plants and dracaenas. Just be sure to check for plant toxicity in case you have pets in your office.
When you introduce plants to your working space, your staff can enjoy cleaner air, plus the following benefits too:
- A better mood
- Increase in productivity
- Better concentration
- Less fatigue and stress
5. Hire green cleaners.
Any office space requires commercial cleaning. However, it is understandable if you are concerned with the cost. But when you really think about it, green cleaning companies can also help you cut your cleaning costs.
Look up trusted green cleaning companies in your area, and you may encounter some that can help you reduce your plastic usage. A good green cleaning company is always on looking for innovative and environmentally-safe ways to clean your office.
You may also ask them for relevant cleaning tips for your small business. Tell them if you have specific needs that can help you save your cleaning budget in the future. They may recommend greener cleaning solutions, biodegradable plastics, and other eco-friendly replacements.
How to save on green cleaning products
You may think that eco-friendly cleaning products are more expensive than chemical ones. However, there are some tips you can follow to save up on your purchase.
- Buy in bulk – Not only does this tip save you money, but it also saves you time.
- Only buy what is needed – Check your inventory of cleaning products and streamline what needs to be purchased. You may be surprised that your office only needs an all-purpose cleaner and a bathroom cleaner.
- Choose concentrated products – The upfront price of concentrated cleaning products may be shocking at first. But you will actually save more in the long run. Concentrated products also help reduce the use of packaging, thereby reducing its adverse effects on the environment.
- Assign only one or two people to purchase the products – Similar to streamlining your cleaning products, organize your purchasing staff too. You don’t want to have more than what you need because there are different people buying your cleaning products.
Small businesses also opt to make their own cleaning products instead of buying them. This is where checking your inventory and assessing your cleaning needs come into play.
Call Prestige Property Services for green cleaning services.
Prestige Property Services believes in an environmentally responsible cleaning program. We are always finding innovative and eco-friendly ways to clean your office. We have been serving Southern California since 1997 and have provided outstanding cleaning services since.
Give us a call at 714-224-0301, and let us we can discuss an eco-friendly way to clean your office space.