Daytime cleaning in offices has become popular in recent years. Whereas cleaning crews previously hid behind the scenes, many carry out their duties now around the regular workforce. Within the commercial cleaning industry, day cleaning versus after hours cleaning continues to be a hotly debated topic.
What are the Advantages of Day Cleaning?
Save up to 35% on energy.
Daytime cleaning significantly reduces your energy costs. When cleaners work during normal business hours, there is no need for lighting or heat at night.
It has been documented that daytime cleaning saves 20 to 35 percent in energy. Lights and HVAC systems contribute heavily to nighttime cleaning operations. Reducing energy consumption is particularly beneficial for LEED-certified and green organizations.
Reduce labor costs.
Some employers offer a higher salary to nightshift employees to make the work more attractive. Switching to day cleaning means you do not have to pay the night differential.
Companies also often hire extra building security for night operations. Daytime cleaning will eliminate the need for additional nighttime security personnel.
More services are available.
Some facility managers hire day porters to perform maintenance tasks during business hours – in addition to nighttime cleaners. Commercial cleaning companies often have daytime janitorial teams that serve as day porters too.
There’s better communication.
When building tenants are able to interact with cleaners, it is much easier to communicate. Employees who work in the same environment as housekeeping also become more respectful of the maintenance crew.
Daytime cleaning has one major challenge – disruption. When two independent workforces merge, both have to adjust to sharing the floor. Office workers may find the presence of cleaning personnel to be a distraction. Cleaners therefore need to work quickly and as discreetly as possible.
What are the Advantages of After-Hours cleaning?
Peace and quiet
Vacuum cleaners and floor polishers can be very noisy. Turning them on during office hours can become disruptive and troublesome to employees.
Night cleaning eliminates unnecessary disruptions so your employees can fully concentrate on their work.
Safer work environment
Cleaners sometimes have to apply solutions that contain harmful chemicals. These toxic substances are the reason why cleaners have to wear a mask, gloves, or protective eyewear.
Employees do not wear the same protective gear which exposes them to toxins that come with cleaning agents.
When cleaners work at night, all the toxic fumes dissipate the next morning – keeping your employee safe.
Less work disruption
Work disruption does not only happen when cleaners are around. Work disruption can also happen when employees are around. Let’s say you are passing a hallway with a cleaner mopping the floor. There is no other way to get to your destination except walk on that stretch of floor. So you tiptoe carefully on the moist surface and leave dirty footsteps behind. After hours cleaning allows the janitorial team to complete their tasks without such interruptions.
Day Cleaning vs. After Hours Cleaning: which one is right for your business?
Commercial cleaning services may offer you the option to hire day porters or a nighttime janitorial crew. Here are some factors that could help you decide whether to choose daytime cleaning or after hours cleaning.
- Assess your building type, tenants, foot traffic, and other internal factors. If a cleaner has to keep coming back to access a particular area, it would increase labor costs. Numerous work hours will be lost if a cleaner is not able to perform tasks efficiently.
- Sometimes a cleaner is unable to operate the vacuum for noise and safety reasons. If you are paying them per day, that means you have to pay for another visit.
- Daytime cleaning can help improve some bad housekeeping habits of office employees. Messy individuals may be less inclined to leave their lunch containers around or discard trash carelessly if they know a cleaner is present.
- Cleaners on site are able to replenish toilet tissue and soap supplies in the washroom as needed.
- Most office workers object to carpets being vacuumed around them while they are working.
- Some office workers feel uneasy when encountering a cleaner in the washroom.
- If daytime cleaners might interfere with business activities, you can ask them to arrive early in the morning. They can also come in at staggered times during business hours.
- You don’t have to exclusively choose between day cleaning and nighttime cleaning. You can implement a mix of day and night cleaning as long as there are no duplicate tasks.
Whether you prefer to have cleaners in the office or after hours, choose a trustworthy and experienced provider.
Prestige Property Services offers day porters and after hours cleaning services. We have years of experience serving commercial clients throughout Orange County and surrounding areas. Schedule an appointment today!